The Red River
The Red River tumbles amid large rock boulders in a narrow, cliff-lined gorge. A 20 mile stretch of the river is designated as National Wild and Scenic River. Paddler’s should consider current water levels and class of difficulty before launching. Canoeing is popular in spring to early summer as it gets very shallow in dry weather. Most people canoe the 10.5 middle and lower sections starting at Copperas Creek Canoe Launch at concrete bridge on Ky 715. Fishing is permitted in the Red River with valid Kentucky fishing license. Hunting is also permitted during season in certain areas and regulated by Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife.
Red River Adventure is the only canoe and kayak outfitter located directly in the Red River Gorge.
- From Lexington Kentucky: Get off I75 at exit 111 and onto I64 East.
- Go past Winchester Kentucky, get-off I64 and onto the Bert T. Combs Mountain Parkway at exit 98.
- Continue on the Parkway past Clay City and Stanton, getting off the at exit 33 at Slade.
- Turn left, drive 200 yards to the "T" intersection with a Shell Mart on the right, a log cabin Marathon station on the left
& "5 Star Cabin Rental" sign right in front of you.
- Turn left onto Ky. highway 15, drive about 1.6 mi., turn right at Nada onto highway 77.
- Go 2 miles to Nada Tunnel (one lane tunnel). Go through the tunnel continue to the "Iron Bridge".
- Cross the bridge and continue on Ky. 77 for a mile to the junction of 77 & 715 (AKA Skybridge road).
- Bear right onto 715, the campground and canoe rental is on your right.
If all else fails call us at 606-663-1012 or 606-663-5258.